The mission of ACGME-I is to improve health care by assessing and advancing the quality of resident physicians’ education through accreditation. We protect the interests of residents and improve the quality of teaching, learning, research, and professional practice with the ultimate goal of benefitting the public that our accredited programs and graduates serve.
We envision a world in which:
- Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs have a structured approach to the teaching and common evaluation of the competency of each of their residents and fellows;
- GME programs are led by motivated role model physicians;
- Residents and fellows have the benefit of a high quality, supervised, humanistic clinical educational experience, with customized formative feedback through specialty standardized systems;
- Residents and fellows demonstrate specialty-specific proficiency in each competency prior to completion; and
- Residents and fellows are on the path to becoming physicians who place the needs of their patients first.